1880: THE DUKE HOUSE
On the corner of Duke and Main Street stands one of the best hotels
in the oil country, containing all the accommodations pertaining
to a first class hostelry and having a billiard room and barber
shop in connection. It was built by Mr. Charles Duke in the winter
of 1877-78 and opend by Mr. George F. Fox in February 1878, during
the great rush to this point, when it nobly stood the siege. At
that time and the calmer days succeeding, its management has been
such that its fame has spread far and wide throughout the county.
In the hotel are the offices of the Western Union and the Empire
Telegraph Lines, another great convenience to guests. Pittenger
& Walsh's Livery at the rear of the hotel are spacious stables
in connection with the house and does a large business in supplying
the wants of travelers and running hacks and omnibuses to the
railroad depot to meet each train. The building was destroyed
along with a dozen other store fronts in October 1914.