The Frank Slavin family came to Eldred around
1914 when their hotel, the former Duke House in Duke Center, burned
and destroyed over a dozen businesses on main street.
In 1915, Frank Slavin made an application to install
the first gasoline pump on main street. In 1923 Frank opened the
"Kozy Koffee" shop.
All three of his sons became successful Eldred
businessmen. Kenneth was a well established electrician and pilot.
Russell took over his father's restaurant business in 1946 and
Francis "Spike" Slavin operated a gas station and later
a furniture store well into the 1970s, currently the World War
II museum. Russell's son Bill operated the restaurant and tavern
until the 1990s and is currently Farmelos Restaurant.
First Slavin's Restaurant. Current location is
the empty lot next to the WWII Museum and in front of Bidwells