Mill after which Bullis Mills was named

In the 1870s, when lumber was the major industry along the Allegheny River, Charles A. Bullis (1836-1917) and Spencer S. Bullis (1849-1928) built the mill seen below at Bullis Mills. Later the mill was taken over by A. W. Georgia and Jewel Aylesworth. While Bullis brothers owned the mill there were two general stores, a church, school and a tavern at Bullis Mills. Hiram Ault and Bullis brothers operated the tavern.
The population of the village peaked at about 1,000. After Aylesworth and Georgia took over the mill, Willis Z. Georgia bought the store and continued the business. He also was telegraph operator for the Pennsylvania Railroad and postmaster. About 1909 Willis Georgia bought out the Eldred High Explosive Company and moved to Olean, where he later became mayor of the city.
The Pittsburgh, Shawmut & Northern built their railroad through Bullis Mills at State Line Mills in the spring of 1909.

The picture above shows the mill crew taken during the early days of its activities.

Bert Peckman, Abram Swarts, Edward Swarts, Hean Smith, John Freson, Will Skiver, Berdet Brazee, Winford Calhoon, Erwin Simmons, Sam Johnson, George Smith, Billy Smith,
Willis Z. Georgia, Charlie Simpson.

W.W. Andrews, Will Hinman, Claud Aylesworth, Ernest Scott, Harrison Georgia, Jewel Aylesworth, Will Barnes,John Hinman, Clarence Smith, John Skiver, Edward Everetts, Amos Dibble,
George Hampton, Will Stanley, Bud Folden, Burl Hodges.

Mable Freson, Mary Vandermark, Emily Aylesworth, Emory Johnson in front.

Trains collide during scene from movie "Unstoppable" at Bullis Mills.