|The Eldred High School was built by John S. Cotton
in 1889. The cost of the building has been reported at between $7,150
and $10,000. Upon completion the building was described as having
no equal in McKean County. It included such features as air chambers
between the floors through which warm and cold air were forced, three
study rooms, two recitation rooms and a principal's room. There were
two large corridors, upstairs and down, which were twelve feet wide
and the length of the building. On November 30, 1889, dedication ceremonies
were conducted by A.H. Mayo, president of the school board. The speakers
at this event included Superintendent Eckels and E.R. Mayo of Smethport,
Attorney Cotter and Professor T.J. George of Eldred.
The curriculum for the high school at the beginning of the twentieth
century consisted of a number of subjects at each grade level. The
freshmen were expected to take arithmetic, history, classics, grammar,
physiology and algebra. In the sophomore year, the students completed
algebra and studied bookkeeping, civics, physical geography and Latin.
Another course in algebra, geometry (plane), general history, Latin
and rhetoric were the subjects covered in the junior year. The seniors
completed their education with botany, Caesar, geometry (solid) and
The Eldred High School served the community from 1889 until it was
closed in 1959 when the jointure formed with Otto Township created
the Otto-Eldred High School district. The building was torn down and
the property is now the residence of Mr. & Mrs Julian Baldoni.