|Eldred is the name of an old settlement once
called Allegheny Bridge. It is the principal town of the northeast
part of the county, and once the center of a large trade as
well as of a rich agricultural and mineral district. In 1830
Nathan Dennis was appointed Allegheny Bridge postmaster, and
opened his office in the old log-cabin near the Lattice bridge.
The Nathan Dennis post-office and hotel was above the mouth
of Knapp's creek on the east side of the river.
In November 1879, a petition was presented to the postmaster-general
to abolish the name of Allegheny Bridge and substitute that
of Eldred, named in honor of the Honorable President Judge Nathaniel
B. Eldred. In February 1880 the petition was granted, and the
name which the first pioneers selected fifty years earlier was